USDA Source Water Protection Program
Source Water Specialist
Our goal is to assist rural and small communities served by public water systems to reduce or eliminate the potential risks to drinking water supplies through the development of Source Water Protection Plans and by providing assistance to entities for the implementation of contamination prevention measures.
- Coordinate activities and facilitate the process of source water protection planning and implementation.
- Provide professional one-on-one on-site assistance and training to rural and small communities in implementing source water protection plans. Provide liaison and assistance in the development of source water protection plans.
- Coordinate with state, county and local agencies in identifying and prioritizing areas for source water protection programs.
- Facilitate coordination, communication and collaboration between the rural and small community, multi-jurisdictional entities, and local, county, state and federal agencies in the development and implementation of the source water protection plans.
- Provide outreach materials to rural and small communities.
Topics of Concern:
- Agricultural Runoff
- Chemical Storage
- Animal Feeding Operations
A utility interested in developing a USDA Source Water Protection Plan
should have 10,000 customers or less, surface water intake, and be impacted
Potential Contaminant Inventory Maps
Two major services provided through the USDA Source Water Protection Program are the GIS and Contaminant Inventory Programs. The maps developed with these two programs provide a better understanding of the potential risks that exist within a watershed.
This example of a contaminant inventory is showing 366 potential contaminants to a surface water intake. This Source Water Protection Area is 46 square miles and potential contaminants include septic tanks, landfills, boat ramps, agricultural areas, and cemeteries.
ARWA's 42nd Annual Technical Training Conference
March 15-18, 2020
- More -
Open for Registration
Lab Testing Procedures with Hands-On Training (WW)
Learn More and Register
ARWA's 42nd Annual Technical Training Conference (W/WW)
March 15-18, 2020
Registration is Open!
Grade II/III Water Certification Test Prep (W)
Sustainable Utility Management (W/WW)
Utility Management Certification
Schedule your own
On-site CEH Training
Plan for future training!
Secure Certificate To provide you with additional protection, we have installed a Secure Certificate which authenticates the ARWA website and encrypts transmitted data such as your name and contact information.
Pay any ARWA invoice online.
Water Loss Protection
The ARWA/NRWA ServLine Program protects your utility against losses from customers’ water leaks, and provides the opportunity for them to add service line repair replacement protection. Learn more.
Alabama Rural Water Association is a non-profit organization representing water and wastewater systems serving rural communities and towns and commercial firms which support these systems.
We provide assistance to comply with State and Federal regulations, to help with management and operational problems, and to stimulate training initiatives.
GET IN TOUCHAlabama Rural Water Association
2576 Bell Road
Montgomery AL 36117
Phone: (334) 396-5511
Fax: (334) 396-7090