Utility Security Issues
Basic Utility Readiness Guide
The ARWA has developed a Basic Readiness Guide for public water and wastewater utility use as follows:
Heightened Utility Awareness
As you are aware, the United States of America, as well as the remainder of the World, is subject to terrorist attacks. This leads to measures that must be initiated within public utility operations. The intent of this notice is not to cause alarm, but rather to heighten awareness of responsible utility personnel.
The ARWA is offering this informational guide for your use as you develop a heightened awareness status program for your utility.
- Employee Awareness - Cameras - Employee Identification
- Locks on all Gates, Doors, Buildings, Electrical Panels and/or Control Panels
- All Vehicles Locked
- All Gates Locked
- Additional Lighting
- Routine Checks by Law Enforcement
- Signs Posted (Do Not Enter, Closed Circuit Security Monitor, Employees Only and Restricted Area)
- Dummy Cameras
- Security Systems and Alarms
- Security Fences
- Knowledge of Surrounding Terrain
- Reporting Suspicious Activity
- Plans of Action
- Auxiliary Electricity
- Emergency Telephone Numbers (911)
- Secure All Vehicles
- Limited Personnel with Keys to Areas of Potential Weakness
- Know When to Stop Water Production
- Update Emergency Response Plans to Include Terrorist Acts
- Review Emergency Plans with Employees and Officials
- Do Not Leave Keys in Equipment at Any Time
Be sure to have telephone numbers for the following:
- Local Law Enforcement
- County Law Enforcement
- Local Fire Department
- Hazardous Material Handlers
- Local Hospitals
- Rescue Squads
- Alabama Department of Environmental Management
- County Emergency Management Agency
- County Health Department
- Center for Disease Control
- Electricity Supplier
- News Media for Publication Notification
PLUS Emergency Telephone Numbers for Consecutive Water Utilities
AND Know When to Issue "Boil Water" or "Do Not Drink" Alerts
- Chlorine Storage
- Acidic Chemical Storage
- Alkaline Chemical Storage
- Prepare Purchase and Delivery Schedules
- Inventory of All Chemicals
- Secure All Chemicals Transported by Utility Vehicles
- Minimum Inventory of Chemicals
- SCBA Inspected
- Fire Hydrants (coordinate security efforts with local fire department personnel and law enforcement officials)
- Secure Hydrants Located in Limited Public View Areas
- Pumping Stations and Other Structures Fenced, Locked and Additional Lighting
- SCADA Systems-Telemetry-Limited Access to Sensitive Information
- Tanks-Eliminate Accessibility-Locks, Remove Ladders
- Metering Vaults and/or Pits-Locked, Fenced
- Increased Raw Water Monitoring
ready.gov/alabama - Alabama News Feed for Ready.gov.
fema.gov/fema-regions/alabama - Alabama News Feed for FEMA
dhs.gov/real-id/alabama - Alabama is compliant with the REAL ID Act. Federal agencies can accept driver's licenses and identification cards from Alabama at Federal facilities and nuclear power plants.
Alabama Department of Homeland Security
P.O. Box 304115
Montgomery, AL 36130
Alabama Emergency Management Agency
5898 County Road 41
PO Drawer 2160
Clanton, AL 35046 Phone: (205) 280-2200
www.ema.alabama.gov Visit the Alabama EMA for links to local county information.
With heightened security measures underway at utility facilities, you may be interested in purchasing a number of these signs for your utility.
8" x 12" plastic
$3.00 each, member
$5.00 each, non-member
24" x 36" aluminum
$25.00 each, member
$30.00 each, non-member
SECURITY SYSTEM ADVISORY WARNINGS
National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS)
Open for Registration
Operation and Maintenance for Water and Wastewater Pumps and Panels (W/WW)
Electrical Training and Pump Maintenance (WW)
Understanding and Complying with Sanitary Sewer Overflow Permit Requirements (WW)
Water and Wastewater Utility Management Training
Oct 30-Rainbow City
Utility Management Certification
Schedule your own
On-site CEH Training
Plan for future training!
Visit us on Facebook!
Water Loss Protection
The ARWA/NRWA ServLine Program protects your utility against losses from customers’ water leaks, and provides the opportunity for them to add service line repair replacement protection. Learn more.
Online CEH Training
ARWA's partnetship with SunCoast Learning provides quality online training, written FOR water and wastewater professionals BY water and wastewater professionals. Learn more.
We are a non-profit organization representing water and wastewater systems serving rural communities and towns and commercial firms which support these systems. We provide assistance to comply with State and Federal regulations, to help with management and operational problems, and to stimulate training initiatives. Learn more about us.
GET IN TOUCHAlabama Rural Water Association
2576 Bell Road
Montgomery AL 36117
Phone: (334) 396-5511
Fax: (334) 396-7090
Visit us on Facebook at facebook.com/alruralwater.
Follow us to keep up with the latest activities, training opportunities, and events!